Dermatology Interest Group
Student Interest Groups
Emergency Medicine Interest Group (EMIG)
- Presidents: Steve Marchenko and Janelle Marshall
- The UC Irvine Dermatology Interest Group is a student run organization founded to provide medical students increased opportunity to explore dermatology and network within the larger dermatology community. Outreach projects in the past have included involvement in a skin cancer prevention educational compaign directed at students aged 6-18 at local schools.
Family Medicine Interest Group
- Co-Presidents: Erica Frumin an Hal Jakle
- Senior Advisor: Lacey King
- EMIG is an organization composed of UCI medical students who are interested in pursuing careers in emergency medicine (EM). As one of the most active student groups at the UC Irvine School of Medicine, our aim is to perpetuate interest in the exciting field of EM. Our goal is to hold regular educational meetings and workshops, provide resources on EM residency programs, provide career advice and guidance, and to also conduct community outreach projects in the areas of injury prevention, public safety, and first aid. We also host a bi-annual Western Regional Symposium that recruits students from around the country to learn more about Emergency medicine.
Internal Medicine Interest Group (IMIG)
- President: David Tran
- Contact: email@example.com
- The Family Medicine Interest Group (FMIG) is comprised of medical students who are interested in pursuing a career in Family Medicine. Student volunteers are responsible for planning all FMIG events with the support of family medicine academic advisors. The students organize noon time lectures which consist of various topics related to Family Medicine and Primary Care.
OB/GYN Interest Group
- President: Erum Iqbal and Brian Luu
- UC Irvine's Internal Medicine Interest Group (IMIG) is a student-run organization dedicated to helping medical students explore the field of internal medicine (IM). We offer resources and information to students interested in IM and its many subspecialties, and provide a forum for which students can network with other students, mentors, and potential employers and colleagues.
Ophthalmology Interest Group
- Co-Presidents: Wendy Kim and Brooke Sanders
- website: http://uciogig.wordpress.com
- The mission of the OB/GYN Interest Group is to educate members about the field of obstetrics and gynecology, including residency selection, training, and fellowship opportunities in an effort to raise awareness and foster interest in the specialty. Through our partnership with the department of obstetrics and gynecology at UC Irvine, we will also help publicize departmental events as well as those of the American Congress of Obstetricians and Gynecologists (ACOG).
Pediatrics Interest Group
- Contacts: Anh Bui and Tiffany Cheng
- The UC Irvine Ophthalmology Interest Group serves to educate medical students about the field of ophthalmology and its various subspecialties. We organize events that will further expose UC Irvine students to the field, such as faculty lectures, eye exam workshops, resident mixers, and Q&A panels.
- Contacts: Kelsey Goodman, Christine Guenzi, Jeff Hassan
- The Pediatrics Interest Group is dedicated to promoting medical student interest in and facilitating exposure to the field of pediatrics. Activities and events include: organizing guest lectures to help expose students to the wide range of pediatric subspecialties, organizing shadowing and doctor-student mentorship opportunities for students, organizing a UC Irvine SOM team to walk in the annual CHOC Walk in the Park at Disneyland to raise money for CHOC Children's Hospital, and participating in local activities pertaining to pediatrics. Our faculty advisor is Dr. Penny Murata.
Psychiatry Interest Group
- President: Andia Turner
- The UCI Psychiatry Interest Group is dedicated to helping medical students explore the field of psychiatry. Our mission is to provide opportunities for students to network within psychiatry through the psychiatry mentorship program, offer insight and resources on psychiatry residency programs, and promote psychiatry interest though guest lectures, movie nights, outreach programs, and linking students with shadowing and research opportunities.
Radiology Interest Group
Sports Medicine Interest Group
Contact: Lauren Tracy
The mission of the Radiology Interest Group (RIG) is to expose and educate members about the field of radiology, including interventional radiology. We organize events including faculty lectures, resident mixers, and residency planning seminars. We will also offering shadowing programs, and access to research opportunities in radiology.
Surgery Interest Group (SIG)
- Contact: Jeremy Truntzer and Joann Chang
- Website: http://www.ucismig.com/
- Mission and Goals:
- To provide medical students with quality exposure to the field of Sports Medicine via speakers, workshops, and first-hand experience during sports-related events
- To provide students with knowledge and information regarding the various routes available to pursue a career in sports medicine including primary care (FM, Pediatrics, PM&R, ER, IM) and orthopedics.
- To provide teaching forums for students to learn how to conduct thorough musculoskeletal exams as well as having the opportunity to practice them in a variety of settings
- To provide students with the opportunity to accompany and work alongside team physicians in training rooms and during game coverage
- To provide students the opportunity to get involved in the local community by partaking in mass event medical coverage which includes local high school sport physicals and health maintenance exams
- To provide a forum for the development and implementation of community education projects and independent research
- To ultimately promote health and physical wellness in the surrounding communities and bring together a group of physicians and medical students who have a common interest in achieving this goal
- To educate students planning to enter other specialties about the role of the primary care sports physician and how to utilize them as a resource throughout their careers
- To establish a mentoring program between senior medical students and sports medicine physicians in the community to increase perspectives and enhance the breadth of exposure
Ultrasound Interest Group
- Faculty Advisors: Dr. Brian Smith and Dr. Jill Endres
- Co-Presidents: Fariba Jafari and Ara Salibian
- The Surgery Interest Group at the University of California, Irvine was formed to provide a venue for students interested in the field of surgery to be exposed to both the career and lifestyle of the surgical profession. The Surgery Interest Group is open and supportive to students interested in all surgical specialties and not just to those interested in General Surgery.
- Faculty Advisor: Dr. Chris Fox
- President: Kiah Bertoglio
This interest group is designed to give students additional exposure to and instruction on the applicability of ultrasound in a wide range of medical specialties. It aims to improve student skills of image acquisition and interpretation by collaborating with other specialty interest groups, hosting journal clubs, and providing opportunities for individual hands on practice, peer to peer instruction, and professional guidance from skilled instructors in small group sessions. We aim to apply acquired skills by taking the opportunity to teach others, including medical students and physicians from other schools in a workshop at the end of the academic year.